Thursday, April 16, 2009

Baking Day Success!

Thursdays are my normal baking days. Lately, though, they've been pretty boring...just making bread mixes and muffins for the upcoming week. We have plenty of muffins and bread mixes leftover from last week, so I got to experiment with a few new recipes today.

I tried Whole Wheat French Bread Rolls to go with our lasagna for dinner. This was my first attempt at making bread WITHOUT a bread machine, so I was a little nervous, as bread can be finicky. This was a major success, though!! They came out of the oven just as we were ready to eat dinner. J ate three of them (they were about the size of hamburger buns)! They were scrumptious with a little bit of honey and butter. MMMM......I put the uneaten ones in the freezer for another time. I bet they'll be good for sandwiches!

I also tried a new whole wheat bread recipe. This was the first time I made bread dough in the bread maker, then baked it in the oven. If you're interested in the recipe, let me know. When I copied the recipe into Word, I forgot to include the source...so I have no idea where it came from. The jury is still out on the success of this one, since it's too warm to slice and try. Although it looks pretty good, and the crust is much softer than our other one.

And finally, I made the easiest simplest peanut butter cookies ever!! Three ingredients and 15 minutes from start to finish...it doesn't get any better. Plus, since we haven't been grocery shopping in a couple of months, it was nice to find a recipe not requiring lots of ingredients. These were super tasty. I left enough out to try and for dessert and put the rest in the freezer, so we're not tempted to eat them all tonight and then we'll have a few stashed away for when we're hit with a sweet tooth craving...which around here is almost every night!

I would have taken a picture, but I already put everything away. As I was cleaning up, I saw a chubby little hand reaching up onto the kitchen table about to grab a peanut butter cookie! It was so cute! Let me know if you try these recipes how you like them or if you have tried any new tasty recipes lately!

No comments: