Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Happy Birthday Gram

Gram's birthday was yesterday. I thought about her a number of times throughout the day, but couldn't call her to sing to her as is tradition in our family. Sunday afternoon, I went with Mom, Jamie and Dad to visit her grave site. We stopped first by Uncle Jimmy's (Dad's brother), which was super hard for me. I was only 8 when he died, but he died unexpectedly when he was 30...J is 30. Then we went to Ma & Pa's (Dad's grandparents & Gram's parents). Then we made the long trek to Jefferson Barracks Cemetery in South County. Dad made sure we paid attention so we would know how to find her and Grandpa if he couldn't take us.

It was important for us to go, especially Dad, but boy was it hard. This will be the first Christmas without her. She was the glue that held our extended family together and made sure we all got together for big things like holidays and birthdays. I miss her terribly and am grieved that she'll never get to meet Adon. I think if she knew she would have 4 great-grandchildren (the first 4!) this year, she may have been able to hang on. Man do I miss her. God is so good to bring so many babies into our family to help ease the Gram's missing presence. I love you Gram and always will.

No comments: